Sweet and Spice: Bourbon Peach Cocktails
There are few flavors more refreshing and unique than that of the peach. Originating from China, peaches have been planted worldwide and are an especially popular treat during hot summer months. In the United States, most peaches come from California, South Carolina, and Georgia.
The sweet, rich flavor of peaches lends well to creating peach-based cocktails as it helps cut the bite of alcohol. These same flavors blend miraculously well with those of bourbon, which also often has sweet yet spicy notes. The marriage of both can lead to the creation of very delicious cocktails.
We love how well peach and bourbon work together, so we’ve decided to share some of our favorite bourbon peach cocktail recipes with you. These recipes will work especially well in warmer months, when peaches are likely to be in season. However, you can get ingredients all year round if you keep an eye out.
Bourbon peach cocktails are a great way to introduce bourbon to people who are unfamiliar with the spirit: the peach helps minimize any bite the bourbon has and the flavors just work wonderfully together. If you’re looking for the perfect bourbon peach cocktail recipe, look no further than the list below!
Peach Old-Fashioned Cocktail
2.5 oz Bourbon
1 tbsp Simple Syrup
2 Peach Slices
For such a standard drink, the old-fashioned is easy to revamp with fresh new flavors. This peachy remix is delicious and sure to be a hit! We advise going with an evenly-balanced bourbon with low or no spice notes to keep this cocktail from being too overpowering.
- Muddle simple syrup, 1 peach, and roughly 5 dashes of bitters in a glass
- Add bourbon, remaining peach slice, blackberries, ice, and a splash of sparkling water
- Stir to thoroughly combine, then serve
Bourbon Peach Smash Cocktail
For Simple Syrup:
.5 cup Sugar
.5 cup Water
1 Stem Mint
1″ Thinly Sliced Ginger
1.5 oz Bourbon
5 Leaves Mint
1 oz Simple Syrup
This recipe is a classic summertime drink and really plays on the flavors of the peach and bourbon. It does require the creation of flavored simple syrup, so it’s best to plan ahead if you are thinking of serving this. Luckily, you can prepare and store the syrup ahead by at most two weeks!
- Begin by creating the simple syrup. Bring sugar, water, mint, and ginger to a boil in a small pot.
- Once the mix is boiling, simmer until sugar is dissolved before straining and storing.
- To create the cocktail, add peach pieces, mint, and simple syrup to empty glass. Muddle 5-6 times
- Add bourbon, splash of ginger ale, and top glass with crushed ice
- Thoroughly stir before garnishing with mint, then serve
Hound Dog Cocktail
For Ginger Simple Syrup:
.25 cup Sugar
2 tbsp Finely Grated Ginger
.25 cup Water
1.5 oz Bourbon
1 oz Peach Puree
.5 oz Lemon Juice
The Hound Dog recipe is a great blend of sweet and spicy flavors, perfect for someone who doesn’t like overly sweet cocktails. Like the previous drink, you will need to prepare simple syrup beforehand; however, it creates the ginger flavor that will really round off this drink. If you’re looking to impress a friend who likes complex flavors, this recipe is perfect to prepare for them.
- Begin by creating the simple syrup. Combine sugar, ginger, and water in a container and shake vigorously until sugar dissolves
- Strain into container and chill, then store
- Combine bourbon, peach puree, lemon juice, and .5 oz of simple syrup in a cocktail shaker
- Add ice to shaker, then shake vigorously for 20 seconds
- Strain into glass with ice and garnish with mint sprig, then serve
Bourbon Peach Pie Cocktail
For Peach Pie Mix:
5 Sliced Peaches
1 cup Brown Sugar
1 tbsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Lemon Juice
Pinch of Nutmeg
1.5 oz Bourbon
.25 oz Lemon Juice
This cocktail is a desert and a drink all rolled into one! If you are looking for the perfect drink for an intimate party, this one is sure to be a great hit. If desired, you can also add cinnamon sticks to everyone’s glasses.
- Begin by creating the peach pie mix. Add peaches to a bowl and cover with sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon juice
- Allow to sit for 2 hours before straining and storing.
- Combine bourbon, 2 oz peach pie mix, and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker
- Add ice and shake vigorously
- Strain and add to glass, then serve
Bourbon Peach Tea Cocktail
For Simple Syrup:
3 Pureed Peaches
.75 cup Sugar
.75 cup Water
16 oz Bourbon
If you want to prepare this cocktail, you will need a pitcher of black tea at your disposal; we are assuming you can brew or purchase the amount before preparing this drink. Again, you will need to craft simple syrup beforehand, but you can create and store that syrup up to two weeks beforehand. This recipe is easy to make in large batches and share with company.
- Begin by creating simple syrup. Bring pureed peaches, sugar, and water to a boil.
- Boil for 1 minute before removing from heat to cool. Strain and store.
- Create the cocktails by filling a glass halfway with tea, then topping with equal parts simple syrup and bourbon.
- Stir thoroughly and garnish with mint leaves, then serve.
If you’re ready to try a delicious combination of flavors in your next cocktail, consider one of the above bourbon peach recipes. We know that they’ll all be delicious and are sure to win favor! Give one of these recipes a chance to become your new favorite: we’re sure they will win you over. If you want to really explore the flavor combination, set aside a night to create all of the above recipes with a group of loved ones and throw a peach party!